Abby for Iowa seeks a dedicated communications professional to serve as Press Secretary. This is an exciting opportunity to shape strategy and execute communications for an inspiring people-first candidate in one of the top Senate campaigns of 2022, all while gaining valuable communications experience in one of the most historically important political states in the country.
The Press Secretary is responsible for working with senior leadership to develop and execute earned media opportunities, including both long-term proactive messaging and rapid response. The Press Secretary’s day-to-day responsibilities will include responding to media inquiries, proactively pitching stories across all mediums, and working with the digital team on social media content and messaging.
- Shape short- and long-term communications planning in coordination with senior campaign leadership;
- Proactively pitch stories across all mediums;
- Engage in rapid response communications, including ensuring the candidate’s placement in breaking news;
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for the campaign;
- Build and maintain relationships with key reporters, editors, and producers in print, online, television, and radio;
- Prepare the candidate for media engagement with written talking points and verbal media preparation;
- Work with surrogates and allies to coordinate the successful elevation of the campaign’s core messages;
- Plan and execute events such as press conferences, roundtables, and media availabilities;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous political communications experience, or similar experience in a fast-paced communications environment;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and in team settings, handling multiple projects simultaneously with tight deadlines;
- Comfort with traditional and new media;
- Ability to work long, irregular hours and travel as needed;
- Excellent organizational habits;
- Commitment to investing in people and the development of teams and leaders, including volunteers and subordinates.
- Experience working with digital teams
- Experience working in Iowa and Midwestern politics
Salary: $5,500-6,500/mo plus benefits
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
To apply, please send your resume to [email protected] with “[NAME]: Press Secretary” in the subject line. Candidates with non-traditional resumes or non-traditional ways of demonstrating the qualifications above will be considered.
Folks of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply to join our diverse and growing team!
No person shall be discriminated against in seeking employment with Abby for Iowa due to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, height, weight, creed, sexual orientation, economic status, disability, HIV-positive status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.